Our hurricane app competition is open to middle school students - grades 6 through 8 and high school students - grades 9 through 12 in Miami Dade County. Student teams who do not meet this requirement will not be considered to participate in the competition.
Teams must be comprised of between 3 - 7 students.
A teacher or mentor must submit the registration form for the competition and commit to working with the girls on their app project to participate. There is no limit to the amount of student teams that can participate from a school.
Final Submission Requirements
Answers to the following questions and submit a three to five minute video to accompany your official submission. Please limit each written response to 500 words.
- What is your mobile app business idea that will help individuals better prepare and go through a hurricane and why is it a good idea? You may add pictures of a prototype or a sketch that will help us understand the problem you are trying to solve.
- Who is your customer? What key demographics do you want to target and why would they buy your app? Please cite the research you used to identify market size and potential size of market.
- Why is there a need for an app like this? Does anything like this exist in the marketplace that has some of the same features you will also provide on your app? Why is your idea better and the features you are proposing?
- Tell us about your team and the role of each team member. Tell us why you believe you and your team are the best qualified to turn your idea into a successful business.
- Explain how will your app work? Provide us with illustration showing us the app layout, how many screens and the app functions.
- A 3 to 5 minute video should also be submitted as part of the official submission. Create your script focused on the content submitted above. Please go to the resources page to find tips on creating and producing your video.